The Unlucky Day

This week ended with Friday the 13th. Ironically, however, my unlucky day fell on Thursday the 12th.

My unlucky day started out just like any other – my alarm went off at 6am and I rolled out of bed in a bit of a daze. There’d been a bit of a thunderstorm the night before, but I hadn’t paid much attention to it as it had mostly happened after I went to sleep. On school nights I have to go to bed at 9:30. If I try to stay up later I won’t be able to wake up in time to make our school lunches and then I’d have to get school lunch [always a risk].

I dropped Tim off at work and continued the further half hour to my school. It was about 7:55 when I pulled into the parking lot and waved at the secretary as she pulled out. As I got out of my car and was picking up my stuff from the back seat the janitor came over to me.

“No school today,” he said.

“Haha – funny joke,” I said, completely unconvinced.

“No, really,” he said, “there was an awful thunderstorm and terrible winds, a tornado touched down here. No power. No school.”

The fact that I’d just waved to the secretary leaving school suddenly struck home. So I went to spend the rest of the school day at my parents’ house until it was time to meet my husband and brothers at their soccer game [playing and coaching].

An hour before the game they decided to postpone due to pouring rain at the away site. My once-busy day was now completely empty. I decided to invite my parents and brothers over for a pizza dinner at our place, since everyone was so depressed about the game being postponed.

At about 3pm it started raining in earnest again. Then there was thunder. And lightening.

The family was expected to arrive at our house at about 5pm. At about 4:45 I got a phone call. Their car had broken down on the side of the road. I had to go and pick them up. I drove through the torrential rain. Then I drove to several gas stations with them to find a gas-canister to try to refill the car’s tank in case that was the problem. It wasn’t. I squished 6 people in my 5-seat car and drove them back home. By this time everyone was starving.

I arrived back home at about 6:30 and Tim and I ordered pizza.

The pizza was the only plan I made on Thursday the 12th that actually worked.

It was pretty good pizza.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s