Thanksgiving is my favorite American Invention. What a great idea: a day to think of all the good things that you have, a day to spend with your family, and a day to eat great food. Does it really get much better than that?
Often I take my blessings for granted. Well, I am always thankful, I think. I hope. I just don’t usually think about it. So, I thought that it would be profitable to make a list of some things that I love – things that I am thankful to have. Perhaps this will encourage you, reader, to think of your own blessings and remember them as we go into the Thanksgiving season.
Anyhow. Here is my list of thinks I am thankful for. Things I love:
- Gotta start this list with the glorious redemption that I have in Christ – without Him this list would be impossible
- My wonderful family – who love me all the time regardless of all the super-stress that I’m sure I cause them on a regular basis
- Friends who love to talk, encourage, and never give up on me
- Chocolate (is it possible that I haven’t mentioned chocolate on my blog yet? – this needs to be remedied)
- That moment when it is raining and the sun comes out and shines through the rain-leaden trees and glistens on the leaves
- The ability to get out of bed in the morning and look forward to what is going to happen during the day
- The inexplicable confidence I have that there is always something good coming around the next life-corner
- A really great key change for the final verse of an ancient hymn
- The really stunning pale shade of green that is only found in a hill of Pine Trees in Maine
- Long conversations
- That He is making everything beautiful in His time (Ecc 3:11)
- When the moon is out and the sun is still setting and the leaves are golden and the sky is pink
- Funny moments around the dinner table, or driving with the boys in the car
- Dusty Pink Roses
- Good books, preferably hardcover, smelling like second-hand bookstore or pipe smoke
- That sanctification is a work of God’s Free Grace and I don’t have to figure out how to do it all by myself
Well. These are by no means all the things that I am thankful for – and I’m sure that I will come up with a lot more things, but if I saved this post until I’d finished my list I think I’d be writing forever. And that is an encouraging thought, is it not?